Disclosure: This post or page may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we recommended. Read more about Affiliate disclosure here.
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace?
This is a question I am often asked.
Are you planning to sell on Facebook Marketplace or want to learn more? If so, this article is exclusively for you.
Today, we will explore the Facebook marketplace and learn how Facebook Marketplace works and the ways how you can do drop shipping with it. Additionally, I will share ways for finding products to sell on the Facebook Marketplace.
Table of Contents
Facebook Marketplace: An Introduction
You might be aware that Facebook was launched as a place for people to hang out online with their friends, colleagues, family members, and new friends or even join your interest group and share your photos and videos. That was its initial phase and now it is more than a meeting place.
You can now build your eCommerce store using an active Facebook account and start selling right away. It connects you with potential buyers in your area. E-commerce is a flourishing business and so this could be an opportunity for serious online sellers.
When you sell something on Facebook Marketplace, you basically create a listing visible by anyone on the Marketplace even in News Feed, search results, and other places on and off Facebook. There are Facebook Commerce Policies that must be adhered to.
In February 2015, Facebook introduced buy and sell groups where users could create product listings for sale and add a description of the product, set up a price, and a pick-up or delivery location.
By 2015, the Facebook marketplace grew by leaps and bounds. The number of people who used to sell and buy regularly on Facebook started growing up and it hit a milestone of almost 450 million. Finally, Facebook Marketplace was born on October 4, 2016.
Currently, Facebook Marketplace is expanded to 50+ countries and it has a desktop version too.
It is similar to Craiglist in the US where you can create public listings to sell your items. However, unlike these marketplaces, Facebook lets you sell items online for free via the desktop website or mobile app.
It gives a chance to every consumer (seller) to get rid of the old, unused, or redundant items from the comfort of their house.
Is it getting exciting? Keep on reading…
What is dropshipping?
As per Wikipedia , here’s the definition of dropshipping:
Dropshipping is a form of retail business wherein the seller accepts customer orders without keeping stock on hand. Instead, in a form of supply chain management, the seller transfers the orders and their shipment details to either the manufacturer, a wholesaler, another retailer, or a fulfillment house, which then ships the goods directly to the customer.
Now, let’s take a quick look at the benefits of dropshipping.
Benefits of dropshipping
- Start a business without/little investment
- Do it as a part-time or full-time
- Operate it from anywhere
- No warehouse or staff members needed
- Highly scalable business model
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace?
To sell an item on Marketplace:
- Go to your News Feed, and click Marketplace in the left menu.
- Click Create a new listing, then click Item for sale.
- Click Add photos to add a photo of your item from your computer.
- Enter your item info. If you want to mark an item as Free, enter 0 as the price.
- Click Next. (Make sure that you’ve entered the information that’s required, else Next will show up grayed out.)
- Click Publish to make your Marketplace listing live.
Tips for selling items on Marketplace
Here are some tips for selling items on Marketplace:
- Use clear photos to show the item and its condition. Include multiple, original photos of the item rather than stock images.
- Add a complete description of the item and its condition in detail. DO not hide any stains or tears.
- Clean your items as much as possible before selling.
- Personal hygiene items should be brand new and in the original, sealed packaging.
- If meeting your buyer in person, make sure it is a public and safe place.
How to Hide Facebook Marketplace Listings from Friends
Sometimes, you may want to keep your listings invisible to your friends but want to show them to others on Facebook. This is now possible. When creating your listing, tap the slider under “Hide from friends” to change it to the On position. Else, it’s a good idea to give your friends a chance to buy your great products.
Have you ever used this marketplace? How has been your experience? What were the features you liked and what you felt was missing? Do leave your comment in the box below.